Swallows Nest Cottage – Information and Features
- 1 Twin bedroom with ensuite bath and bathroom
- 1 Double bedroom with ensuite shower room
- Own garden with furniture and BBQ
- Dedicated parking
- Real coal/log fire
- Adjustable oil central heating throughout
For your added comfort and peace of mind the following are included in the price :-
- All oil, coal/logs
- Dedicated, unlimited WI-FI
- Sky TV
- Bed linen
Double Bedroom (suitable for guests with disabilities)
The double bedroom has pine furniture comprising:
- Double bed (bed raisers are available in the cottage)
- Wardrobe (with lowered rail)
- Chest of drawers
- Dressing table with space underneath and mirror
- Main line telephone both incoming and outgoing calls allowed (charges apply for outgoing calls)
- Overlooking our farm fields
- Alarm clock
- Matching bed linen and lined curtains for comfort
- Two bedside lights
The double bedroom has an en-suite bathroom suitable for guests with disabilities and comprises:
- Roll-in shower
- Thermostatically controlled electric shower
- Shower chair/commode (also fits over toilet) with removable arms for either-side transfer
- Dry area
- Lowered hand basin
- Heightened toilet (additional toilet seat raiser is available in the cottage)
- Handrails to shower, handbasin, toilet
- Shaver light and socket for electric shavers
- Range of toiletries
The twin-bedded room has traditional oak furniture comprising:
- Chest of drawers with mirror
- Bedside cabinet
- Original, wooden ceiling beams
- Two bedside lights
- En-suite comprising:
- Enamelled bath
- Range of toiletries
Please note there are two steps down to this bathroom making it unsuitable for wheelchair-users.
The kitchen cum dining room has all the facilities required for a relaxing break for everyone and includes:
- Original, wooden beams across the vaulted ceiling
- Full-sized half fridge/freezer
- Fan oven (heightened)
- Full electric hob (lowered)
- Washing machine/tumble drier
- Heightened table with extending leaves for legroom
- Chair raisers are available in the cottage
- Range of glasses/crockery/cutlery and utensils for everyday use and entertaining
This room overlooks the fields where our sheep and cattle graze.
In this separate sitting room we provide:
- Vaulted ceiling with original, wooden beams
- Log burner (we supply coal and logs FREE of charge)
- Colour television
- DVD player
- SKY TV
- Range of games and books
- Comfortable suite with high backs (chair raisers are available in the cottage)
Swallows Nest is specifically designed to enable a disabled guest to visit our cottage and farm; many have done so and returned time and time again.
As we live near to the cottage ourselves, we are on hand to give assistance and can be contacted during the night if necessary.
The cottage has been awarded a Category 3 Grading by the English Tourism Council for Accessibility,(Grade 1 lowest and 4 the highest).
In 2003 we were nominated for and subsequently won the County Durham Environment Award for Accessible Accommodation, making Swallows Nest the best in County Durham !! This is in addition to the 4 Stars given for comfort and equipment. (Grade 1 lowest and 5 the highest).The whole of the cottage (except Bathroom 2) are flat, without gradients or ramps.
Throughout the cottage there is ample space to manoeuvre a wheelchair with a clear area in each room to allow for turning. The floor coverings are either lino or short-pile carpet to aid movement. All the light switches, rails and coat hooks are lowered and the sockets are higher than in a conventional house. Nearly all the furniture is free standing so that it can be moved to suit your individual requirements.
The parking space and garden have been created into a flat area so that guests with walking difficulties as well as wheelchair-users can appreciate our beautiful countryside.
- Large comfortable settee and chair. Both have arms and high backs. Chair raisers are provided.
- Free access to all worktops.
- Sink with clear under space.
- Lowered hob with clear under space.
- Access to controls on all equipment including the hob, oven, washing machine and microwave.
- Raised oven to allow for transfer of food to worktop.
- Fridge and freezer are accessible to the disabled guest.
- Dining table has a higher than average surface, with clear under space to allow access for a wheelchair.
- Double bed, with raised surface and clear space on both sides to allow for transfer.
- Bed Blocks are provided.
- Lowered wardrobe rail for ease of use.
- Telephone next to the bed, which is for the sole use of the cottage and accepts outgoing as well as incoming calls.
- Roll- in shower without step or lip and anti-slip drying area.
- Foldaway shower seat with handrail positioned on the wall opposite the transfer side. There is a drop-down rail on the transfer side of the seat.
- Raised toilet seat with fixed handrail on the wall opposite the transfer side. In addition there is a drop-down handrail on the transfer side.
- 4″ toilet seat raiser provided.
- Washbasin with lever taps and clear under space to allow for wheelchair access. There is a vertical handrail to the left of the washbasin to aid support.
- Fully manoeuvrable shower chair/commode with removable armrests.
- Horizontal rail attached to door to enable it to be closed from a seated position.
Bedroom and Bathroom 2
- Twin bedded bedroom giving access to bathroom with bath.
- Please note there are two steps down into bathroom 2.